Helpful Move-out Tips to Avoid Any Potential Charges
Moving can be very stressful so we wanted to provide you with a few tips to make move-out day a little easier.
Things to do before the move
- Go to usps.com to have your mail forwarded
- Cancel or redirect any deliveries or subscriptions
- Back up your files! You never know what can happen to your computer during a move
- Check for any packages at the office
- Transfer any utilities, cable, water, etc. if applicable
- Arrange for movers or moving help
- Eat any perishable food you have
Cleaning the Apartment –
- Floors – Vacuum or sweep floors prior to checkout
- Kitchen - Clean kitchen sink, faucet, cabinets and countertops. Don’t forget to clear off the top of kitchen cabinets!
- Range and microwave - Clean all parts of the oven, range, and microwave, including exterior.
- Refrigerator - Clean all parts of the refrigerator and freezer including exterior. After cleaning, leave refrigerator temperature setting on 1 and turn off the ice maker.
- Closets, Cabinets, Drawers, Shelves and Backsplashes - Remove all shelf paper, contact paper and adhesive residue.
- Bathroom – Clean toilet, bathtub, mirror, walls and floors.
- Doors and walls - Remove all hooks, nails, stickers and tape. DO NOT PATCH NAIL HOLES—Patching may result in charges
- Window areas - Remove all stickers and tape. Clean inside of windows including tracks. Remove any curtains installed. Dust blinds.
- If your apartment is furnished, remove the cushions and vacuum out anything that may have fallen during your stay.
- All trash/ trash bags must be disposed of in the proper receptacle. Any trash left in the apartment or in the hallway is subject to a fine.
What To Donate
- Non-perishable food
- School/office/art supplies
- Pillows/mattress toppers
- Sporting equipment
- Working/non-working electronics and small appliances
What Not To Donate
- Cleaning products
- Used toiletries
- Food - open, expired, or perishable
- Anything badly stained, soiled, worn, torn, broken or missing parts
- Turn in your keys to staff. Failure to return all keys will result in a charge to re-core locks.
- Provide a forwarding address